Middle Fork Tunnel Chute
Whitewater Rafting on The Middle Fork American River is the the best summertime Class IV whitewater trip that is in close proximity to Sacramento and the San Francisco Bay Area. We raft through a road-less wilderness canyon where the water runs cold and clear, the gold rush history abounds, and the rapids do not disappoint. Get ready for the famous Tunnel Chute rapid. This trip is recommended for adventurous groups that want larger and more difficult rapids than the South Fork American River.
1-Day Middle Fork American River Trips meet at 8:30 AM. Please be dressed and ready to go! There are several other rafting companies that meet here, so look for Beyond Limits Adventures vehicle and guides. You will need to sign-in and load into the shuttle for the ride to the put-in below Oxbow Reservoir. Your guides will prepare the rafts for the river and give all participants a safety orientation. You will be given a PFD, helmet, and paddle.
Once on the water, the action comes fast. There will be several miles of Class III & IV action, including the famous Tunnel Chute Rapid. The river then mellows out, helmets come off, and it's time to enjoy the scenery and stop for lunch. There will be plenty of food, so bring a healthy appetite! After lunch, the rapids will pick up again until we get to the take-out at the old Greenwood Bridge Access Area.
At take-out, our shuttle vehicle will be waiting for you with cold drinks. Once the rafts and gear are loaded up, we'll have a ride out of the canyon and back to your cars. Although finish times may vary, plan to be back to your car by 4 PM
Middle Fork American rafting trips meet in The Auburn Ravine Shopping Center parking lot behind Raleys in Auburn, CA.
Directions from Sacramento I-80:
- Take I-80 east to Auburn, CA
- Take exit 121 for Foresthill toward Auburn Ravine Rd.
- Turn right on Auburn Ravine Rd.
- Take an immediate left on Lincoln Way.
- Turn right into the Raleys parking lot and drive around to the back of the store.
- Look for the Beyond Limits Adventures vehicle and guides.
What to Bring
California River Adventures provides all the rafting gear you will need for your whitewater rafting trip. Please bring the following items for each participant to help make your trip more pleasurable.
- Drinking water in a durable bottle
- 1-2 layers of long sleeved synthetic tops (Spring or high water)
- Cotton T-shirt (hot Summer days)
- Brimmed baseball cap (preferably without the bead on top)
- Sneakers or river sandals
- Sunglasses with straps
- Dry clothes to change into after trip
Camping and Lodging
Camping is not included. Please call us for suggestions if you are planning on camping either before or after your trip.