South Fork 2 Day
The South Fork American River boasts 2 separate semi-wilderness canyons separated by the Coloma valley where gold was first discovered in California.
On day 1, we will meet at River Park Resort at 9AM to set up your camping area. At 10:00AM we will begin a river orientation, issue your river gear and go to the put-in. We start our descent into the Lower Gorge Section. Rapids include Fowler's Rock, Upper and Lower Haystack Canyons, Satan's Cesspool, Bouncing Rock, and Hospital Bar. We will stop along the riverside and prepare a fresh deli-style lunch with all the fixings.
We arrive at take-out around 4:00PM and ride the shuttle bus back to camp.
While in camp, our friendly guides take care of all the camp duties and cooking so you have time for what you want to do. Many people enjoy hiking, reading, swimming, fishing, or perhaps starting happy hour just a little bit early.
You will be served tasty appetizers, a mouth watering dinner, and a sinful dessert before settling in for the night under the stars that only the country sky can provide.
On day 2, plan on waking up to the smells of fresh brewed coffee and a hearty breakfast with all the fixings. We depart for the Upper Chili Bar section at 9:00AM.
The Upper Chili Bar section is great because of it's multitude of exciting rapids, including: Meat Grinder, Race Horse Bend, Triple Threat, and the famous Trouble Maker..
The trip winds up back at River Park Resort and concludes with a tasty bar be cue lunch. Plan to be back to your cars around 2PM.
All of California River Adventures’ South Fork American River Trips meet at River Park Resort 7321 River Park Drive, Lotus, CA 95651. Please be sure to print and use these directions as GPS and online directions become less accurate on these country roads.
Directions from Sacramento US-50:
- Take US-50 E towards S Lake Tahoe
- Exit at Ponderosa Road/Exit # 37
- Turn left over highway overpass. (0.2 mi)
- Turn Right immediately after the overpass onto N. Shingle Road (4.5 mi)
- N. Shingle Road turns into Lotus Rd.
- Continue on HIghway 49 (6.1 mi)
- Turn left at Highway 49, go over the bridge and left onto River Park Drive. River Park Resort will be ahead (200 yards).
- Park in the main lot and check into our River Store.
What to Bring
Beyond Limits Adventures provides all the rafting gear you will need for your whitewater rafting trip. Please bring the following personal items for each participant to help make your trip more pleasurable. Please contact us if you have any questions about what to bring.
For on the water:
- Drinking water in a durable bottle
- 1-2 layers of long sleeved synthetic tops (Spring or high water)
- Cotton T-shirt (hot Summer days)
- Brimmed hat
- Sneakers & wool socks or river sandals (teva, chaco, keen, etc.)
- Sunglasses with straps
- Sunscreen & lip balm
- Dry clothes to change into after trip
For Camp: (please note that all your gear must fit into one large dry bag. Bag dimensions are approximately 16" diameter x 33" tall.)
- Tent or small tarp
- Compact sleeping bag
- Self inflating sleeping pad
- Change of clothes (appropriate for the season and/or weather)
- Toiletries and medicine
- Fishing gear
- Beer, wine, or sodas
Camping and Lodging
1 night of camping is included with this trip. If you would like to stay either the night before or after, camping and lodging is available at River Park Resort. Please call 530-622-0553 for pricing and availability.